Friday, February 26, 2016

Classic Tomato Frito sauce

How spoiled I am by having grown up in a country where you can buy this amazing sauce base readily made by Heinz in any given grocery store. However, after I moved to California I had to come up with a plan. Because Heinz Tomato Frito isn't sold here anywhere. Imagine my disappointment when I found out I couldn't just get my go to sauce base for many of my favorite recipes... I use this sauce for making home made pizza, Mac n Cheese, mini lasagna cups, and the list just goes on! So I started experimenting. And after many tries, I've come up with a recipe that might not be perfect, but pretty darn satisfying to my tastebuds!

  • 1 lbs tomatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Basil
  • Salt and pepper to season

Dice up the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Toss all ingredients in a slow cooker (or crockpot) and turn on low for four hours. After cooking time is over, spoon the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Let cool before putting sauce in a jar. Can be frozen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment