Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A Sweet Tooth Affair- Appetizer

First off, if you don't already know this about me... I have a ferocious sweet tooth. Insatiable most days. Luckily I am able to balance this sweet tooth out with lots of yoga and martial arts training... But some days I just can't help myself. I need to go to my happy place. Those of you lucky enough to live in the San Francisco Bay Area might know what I'm talking about when I tell you about my happy place. Most likely the ones who live on the east side of the bay. It's called 'A Sweet Affair'. Ring any bells yet? A sweet affair is this magical place (known as a bakery), where you can get my favorite sandwich ever. It's called a roasted turkey sandwich. Some of you might raise eyebrows when I start summing up what the ingredients are, but trust me when I say that hardly a day goes by that I don't think about this perfect combination of sweet, savory, creamy, crispy and crunchy. The sandwich has creme cheese, cranberry jelly, roasted turkey, avocado, crispy lettuce and sprouts on whatever bread you desire ( my taste buds usually vote for butter crust).  

Before I give you the secret to my sandwich inspired yummy party rolls, I should also mention A Sweet Affair's salted caramel cupcakes. If you should ever find yourself in downtown Walnut Creek and close to this magic bakery, don't withhold yourself from ending your lunch with this desert. Best cupcake I've ever had in my life. And I'm addicted to making, baking and enjoying cupcakes, so that should tell you something!

To the point, and back to my favorite sandwich. I decided to use this as inspiration for a kid friendly party snack. What I like to do for parties, is turn this delicious go to sandwich of mine, into a quick and easy appetizer roll. So let me list the ingredients;

  • Flour tortillas
  • Roasted turkey lunch meat
  • Avocado
  • Red berry jelly (works with straw-, rasp- and cranberry as long as it's got a slightly tart flavor)
  • Lettuce 
  • Sprouts (can be omitted and/or substituted with sunflower seeds) 
  • Cocktail skewers

These appetizer rolls are super quick and easy to make. Lay out a tortilla. Spread creme cheese on one side and jelly on the other. Cover lengthwise with roasted turkey lunch meat. Slice avocado thinly and spread out over turkey. Cover with lettuce and if desired top with sprouts or seeds. Roll up the tortilla lengthwise so all ingredients are perfectly spread out over the length of the roll, use jelly and creme cheese to make the roll stick together nicely. Pin with skewers before slicing in even inch-thick slices. Display on a serving tray and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment