Monday, September 5, 2016

Chicken Cordon Bleu with Homemade Mustard Sauce


My husband and I are both crazy about this fancy looking yummy dinner dish. I've been making this since I was in my teens, because I love it so much I just had to learn how to make it myself. And once again, good thing, because it is hard to find a good meat department in our area where you can get a good quality Cordon Blue. Of course some restaurants serve it, but I actually love being creative in the kitchen so I prefer to make it myself.


I will present you this recipe with options. Because the traditional way I am used to eating this in Europe, is served with a lemon slice. You're expected to drizzle some squeezed lemon over the crispy bread crust to better compliment the true flavor of the meat and filling. 
However, most recently I tried making Cordon Bleu with a quickly homemade mustard sauce that completely blew my taste buds away, so I'll share the mustard sauce recipe below as well.


For the Cordon Bleu;

  • 4 chicken breasts

  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise

  • 4 slices of Black Forrest ham

  • 8 slices of Gouda cheese

  • Pepper and salt to season

  • 1 cup flour

  • 1 egg (whisked) 

  • 1 cup bread crumbs

For the Mustard Sauce

  • 1½ tbsp butter

  • 1½ tbsp flour

  • 1¼ cups milk (Note 3)

  • 2 tbsp Dijon mustard

  • Salt and pepper
Before you start with the chicken, set up three shallow dishes, on with flour, one with whisked egg and one with the breadcrumbs. Spray an oven dish with baking oil. Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Slice the chicken breast in half lengthwise, making sure that on one side the meat is still attached. Fold open and spread mayonnaise lightly on both sides. Place a piece of ham on the open folded breast, then lay 2 slices of Gouda on top before folding the chicken back. First dip and roll the chicken through flour, then soak in egg before rolling in breadcrumbs. Make sure the whole breast is covered. Use your hands to press the breadcrumbs onto the chicken. Lay the chicken gently in the oven dish, then put in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is a golden brown color. Make sure before eating the chicken is cooked all the way through (white in stead of pink). If not, add baking time. After taking out of the oven let the chicken cool slightly before eating, as the filling can stay extremely hot. Poor mustard sauce over right before serving.

Mustard Sauce
Melt the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan, then add flour. Cook until light brown, make sure it doesn't burn. Poor in half the milk and whisk until mixture is smoothly blended. Add The rest of the milk, followed by the mustard. Keep whisking until the sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper if and as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment