Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Monthly Obsessions



I decided to add this category because it seems as though every month there is something else that catches my attention and that I'll be totally temporarily obsessed with. Not necessarily hobbies, but random things I find pleasure in.

There are so many topics and issues in the world now that ask for all sorts of negative attention, I decided to add something positive to my blog. Seriously not trying to go into details but the world seems like a very stressful place, with all political debates, racial issues etc. I have to be honest, I started dreading watching the news.

My blog is a place where I would like to focus on positive things like sharing personal stories and inspiring growth, I thought it would be a good idea to share things that give me a chance to temporarily break free from negativity and share them with you so you might be able to experience the same.



I'll start this week off with the first monthly obsession; Carpool Karaoke.

Now before I get into this you should know (if you don't know already), that music had always played a major part in my life. Music has shaped my life in ways I can't even explain. Popular American music gave me a world to escape to when I was younger and it even gave me a language I was more comfortable with. I should probably explain that Dutch music isn't very appealing to me. At. All. When I was young I even played a number of instruments, I started with a recorder, moved up through flute and horn. I can play a couple of tunes on a piano (but don't expect much) and on a rare occasion even got behind drums, which I LOVED but never really got into. What really touched me more than the instruments and even the rhythm however were the lyrics. The stories a song a can tell and the feelings a talented voice can bring along. I by no means have such a thing, but I can enjoy some else's even more probably because of that very fact. I'm really not one to sing in public and karaoke freaks me out on a whole other level. I've only done it once in my life, in the privacy of my own home. Probably didn't help that I tried it for the first time with two actually talented musicians... So long story short, when I saw a clip for carpool karaoke with Adele (an amazingly talented woman with an incredible voice) pop up on my Facebook news feed, I clicked on it.




That was my first introduction to carpool karaoke with James Corden. A clip on Facebook, where we see Adele busting out a rap to Nicky Minaj's 'Monster'. After seeing her totally (please excuse my language) KILL this particular verse I got curious and hurried to YouTube to check out the rest of the video. Oh My God, 'All I Ask'?! I had tears streaming down my face, the feels were unreal.

Never seen it and are you curious?
Here's the link to Adele's Carpool Karaoke on the Late Late Show's YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nck6BZga7TQ&t=579s

After finishing this video and being totally blown away by Adele's obvious amazing talent and surprisingly beautiful harmonies with James Corden I searched for other carpool karaoke clips, watched One Direction, SIA, Steve Wonder etc. I got hooked. More like obsessed.

My favorites are the clips with Adele (duh! She busted out the Spice Girls!), Sia (uh-MA-zing voice!) and Chris Martin (such feels with James and Chris' harmony of 'Us Against the World').







James Corden is wonderful host for carpool karaoke, he adds the perfect pinch of character, flavor, quick wit and harmonies to bring out the best in people we don't usually get to see other than on stage or other public roles.

If you ask me the power of this concept lies in the fact that we get to see these huge stars completely be themselves, out of the picture perfect lime light, in an environment most of us normal working class people spend most of our time in; the car and or traffic. There's no technical enhancements and we get to enjoy them in their total raw talent. Like we got to see with Adele, Sia, Chris Martin, One Direction, and most recently, Bruno Mars.

If you haven't seen that video yet, click the link below and enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFxCO_DyzYM

For someone who spends about an average hour and a half in traffic every day it's a joy to get to enjoy watching true talents in the same every day situation. To afterwards get in the car again myself and pretend to break it down to some of my favorite songs. Caterwauling out my heart and soul in the safe confinement of my own little four-wheeler without worrying that anyone will ever hear me.


I sincerely hope you do the same. Safe travels and happy caterwauling everyone,

until the next Monthly Obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment