Sunday, January 29, 2017

Delicious lemon bars


Living in California, I feel very lucky to be able to grow citrus. Where I am from, the Netherlands, it is quite cold and citrus won't grow very well. Now I should also mention that I married a man who has amazingly green fingers. Whatever he touches in our garden seems to turn in to pure gold. So far every year we have had oranges the size of store bought grapefruits, more plums than I will ever figure out what to do with and the same goes for our lemons. Although with a family who loves using lemons for Mexican dishes that's not so much a problem. However, I do enjoy using lemons myself as well. And I can't even begin to say how delighted I am to be able to go outside and simply pick some of our fresh lemons every time I have a craving for lemon bars. Besides, with the recipe I use they're very easy to make and taste delicious!




 


  • 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
  • 6-8 tbsp lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Measure flour by dipping method or sifting. Blend flour, butter and confectioners sugar thoroughly. Press evenly into square pan 8x8x2. Bake 20 minutes. 
Beat the rest of the ingredients together. 
Pour over crust and bake 20-25 minutes more. Do not over bake. (The filling puffs during baking but flattens when cooled) 
Makes 16 squares. 
 
*** if you use self rising flour omit baking powder and salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment